Friday, December 9, 2011

Sea Fever



Sea Fever By John Masefield
I must go down to the seas again,
to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship
and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song
and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and
a grey dawn breaking,
                                                                                                                   
I must down to the seas again,
for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call
that may not be denied; And all I ask is a windy day
with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume,
and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again,
to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way
where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn
from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream
when the long trick’s over.

This poem really caught my eye because of its connection with the ocean. The beach is basically my favorite place to be so I definitely liked the way they described it. The feeling of calmness and hearing all the noises around you is something I love about the beach as well as boating on the ocean. The way the beach is, is described as “the vagrant gypsy life” and that’s what I’m about.

-          I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky
I really like this line because as I said, the beach is such a calm place to be that it’s always nice to just go by yourself or withsome and lay out while u look at the beautiful sea and sky.
-          I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
I liked this line because I surf and it’s always best when the tide’s are running, if everything is calm then you really can’t surf.
-          To the gull’s way and the whale’s way
This line kind of reminds me of myself and how I like things my way. At the beach you know you can just relax and not have to deal with what other people like, only what YOU like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment